This is England 88
Sofa - Spud
2011-12-14 09:03:02 UTC
Depressing sums it up I suppose , not sure how else it could be given
the horrific outcome the end of the last series. Of course as it;'s been
shown over three nights we had to make the effort to watch last nights
even if we tape the last one.

It;s a sort of inevitability that the woman will either take her own
life or harm the baby. The rest of them seem to have got over the bloke
being bludgeoned to death and the girl who was raped seems OK given it's
less that 6 months.

The thing is just like last time , it just doesn't look like the late
80's , the bloke from Misfits on the scooter dressed like a Mod, he's
have looked a right pillock by 88 and the rest of them are dressed like
it the late 70's.

Don't know where it;s going or why but I am left wondering why it was
rehashed for yet more episodes. Does the writer have nothing new?
Froot Bat
2011-12-14 14:34:43 UTC
On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 09:03:02 +0000, Sofa - Spud
Post by Sofa - Spud
The thing is just like last time , it just doesn't look like the late
80's , the bloke from Misfits on the scooter dressed like a Mod, he's
have looked a right pillock by 88 and the rest of them are dressed like
it the late 70's.
I recently wasted about two hours on the film version of this. Utter
fucking shite in every way. Weak, confused, boring 'storyline' (a piss
poor 3 minute Clash song stretched to 90 minutes), with unpleasant
boring characters. Unbelievable how it's rated so highly. I can only
assume due to London media wankers who think it's realistic because
it's 'grim up north'.

Same must go for this. I only saw the previews and exactly like you
I'm thinking WTF planet is this set on? The "fashions" and styles were
all ludicrously weird/dated, mixed up and completely wrong for 88. I
don't know if any featured in the programme, but if there was any
notable 'subculture' visible in 88 it was Goths.

Since they can't get anything else right (was nobody on the production
team actually alive just 23 years ago?) they shoehorn in songs of the
80s as a lazy way of establishing 'time and place'. Except they get it
wrong.

Pretty sure the previews had an ancient (for 1988) Smiths song, and
someone singing "Never Gonna Give You Up", which is just a lame nod to
Rickrolling. Why bother specifying it was 88? Was it about neo-Nazis?
Post by Sofa - Spud
Don't know where it;s going or why but I am left wondering why it was
rehashed for yet more episodes. Does the writer have nothing new?
I assume I got everything I needed to from the previews + the film: a
grim, unrecognisible world filled with characters who I don't like and
don't care about.
Sofa - Spud
2011-12-19 20:32:25 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Don't know where it;s going or why but I am left wondering why it was
rehashed for yet more episodes. Does the writer have nothing new?
I assume I got everything I needed to from the previews + the film: a
grim, unrecognisible world filled with characters who I don't like and
don't care about.
Not a lot to argue with there and everything to agree with, it was meant
to be a damming critique of skin head culture originally then the first
series decided it would be funny but then decided to go for violence and
extreme rape. Now it's mental illness & suicide.
Froot Bat
2011-12-20 22:23:50 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Don't know where it;s going or why but I am left wondering why it was
rehashed for yet more episodes. Does the writer have nothing new?
I assume I got everything I needed to from the previews + the film: a
grim, unrecognisible world filled with characters who I don't like and
don't care about.
Not a lot to argue with there and everything to agree with, it was meant
to be a damming critique of skin head culture originally then the first
series decided it would be funny but then decided to go for violence and
extreme rape. Now it's mental illness & suicide.
Sounds like a Christmas episode of Eastenders. Aside from the "funny".

Interesting fact I discovered recently, re:skinheads and whatnot: Mark
Radcliffe was in the group Skrewdriver, though apparently before it
became racist/NF.
Fred X
2011-12-22 14:33:08 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Don't know where it;s going or why but I am left wondering why it was
rehashed for yet more episodes. Does the writer have nothing new?
I assume I got everything I needed to from the previews + the film: a
grim, unrecognisible world filled with characters who I don't like and
don't care about.
Not a lot to argue with there and everything to agree with, it was meant
to be a damming critique of skin head culture originally then the first
series decided it would be funny but then decided to go for violence and
extreme rape. Now it's mental illness & suicide.
I think that's the problem. The film was about a specific subject and
culture, whereas the series is just about the lives of a group of
people and it has lost it's focus.

Fred X
Fred X
2011-12-14 15:30:41 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Depressing sums it up I suppose , not sure how else it could be given
the horrific outcome the end of the last series. Of course as it;'s been
shown over three nights we had to make the effort to watch last nights
even if we tape the last one.
It;s a sort of inevitability that the woman will either take her own
life or harm the baby. The rest of them seem to have got over the bloke
being bludgeoned to death and the girl who was raped seems OK given it's
less that 6 months.
Yeah, I found it quite difficult just watching that rape scene, so you'd
think that she would be rather more obviously mentally scarred.
Post by Sofa - Spud
The thing is just like last time , it just doesn't look like the late
80's , the bloke from Misfits on the scooter dressed like a Mod, he's
have looked a right pillock by 88 and the rest of them are dressed like
it the late 70's.
Yeah, but some people who where devotedly part of a fashion trend of
group tend to stick to their look for a while. I remember seeing old
guys in the 80s that still had their hair in a teddy boy style DA
and you still saw people dressed like hippies at the same time.

I noticed that they have given Smell another god awful haircut. In
fact I feel sorry for all the actors having to live with these terrible
hairstyles for months on end while they film the show.

What struck me the most last night is that either the directors of
Misfits asked Joe Gilgun to repeat his performance from TIE:86 or
that he is a one note actor.
Post by Sofa - Spud
Don't know where it;s going or why but I am left wondering why it was
rehashed for yet more episodes. Does the writer have nothing new?
I guess it's because the critics seem to love the show and I guess
that C4 think there isn't anything around that would be better. It's
like Hollywood just churning out sequels as they know that there
are a bunch of sad sacks that will go out and watch them. I include
my self in that category BTW.

Fred X
Sofa - Spud
2011-12-19 14:32:53 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Depressing sums it up I suppose , not sure how else it could be given
the horrific outcome the end of the last series. Of course as it;'s
been shown over three nights we had to make the effort to watch last
nights even if we tape the last one.
It;s a sort of inevitability that the woman will either take her own
life or harm the baby. The rest of them seem to have got over the
bloke being bludgeoned to death and the girl who was raped seems OK
given it's less that 6 months.
Yeah, I found it quite difficult just watching that rape scene, so you'd
think that she would be rather more obviously mentally scarred.
I thought the black haired girl battling with the visions of her father
, and falling apart was brutally realistic and really disturbing
watching. When she inevitably did try to take her own life it was very
powerful. The girl who was raped went in the house and sat right in the
very same place it happened and she seemed not to be bothered.
Post by Sofa - Spud
The thing is just like last time , it just doesn't look like the late
80's , the bloke from Misfits on the scooter dressed like a Mod, he's
have looked a right pillock by 88 and the rest of them are dressed
like it the late 70's.
Yeah, but some people who where devotedly part of a fashion trend of
group tend to stick to their look for a while. I remember seeing old
guys in the 80s that still had their hair in a teddy boy style DA
and you still saw people dressed like hippies at the same time.
I noticed that they have given Smell another god awful haircut. In
fact I feel sorry for all the actors having to live with these terrible
hairstyles for months on end while they film the show.
What struck me the most last night is that either the directors of
Misfits asked Joe Gilgun to repeat his performance from TIE:86 or
that he is a one note actor.
Watching Misfits last night he played the same role here but without the
comedy , so he just looked like he is mentally ill or something. Unfunny
and not a little jarring - like when he is with the parents just sitting
there and he is carrying on. Same tattoos too apart from the face.

The rest of the cast apart from the black haired girl already mentioned
may as well not have been there for all the good they did. Kelly from
Misfits' brother had all of one line, he must be gutted.
Post by Sofa - Spud
Don't know where it;s going or why but I am left wondering why it was
rehashed for yet more episodes. Does the writer have nothing new?
I guess it's because the critics seem to love the show and I guess
that C4 think there isn't anything around that would be better. It's
like Hollywood just churning out sequels as they know that there
are a bunch of sad sacks that will go out and watch them. I include
my self in that category BTW.
We watched solely on the basis of the girls performance and her battle
with her depression , the rest was pointless. Lets hope they put this
one to bed now.
Fred X
2011-12-19 18:49:28 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
[...]
I think the problem that I have with the series is that it a lot of the
time it is too realistic, depressing and tedious, just like real life!
There seemed to have been about ninety minutes of material dragged out
to fill three hours of drama.

I think that scene where the two girls sat in the house, was a deliberate
reminder of what happened in the previous series.
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by Sofa - Spud
[...]
Yeah, I noticed that. They did seem to have shifted the attention to
just a few characters, although sometimes that can be better than
having secondary storylines crowbarred into a show, just to give
the others something to do.
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by Sofa - Spud
Don't know where it;s going or why but I am left wondering why it was
rehashed for yet more episodes. Does the writer have nothing new?
I guess it's because the critics seem to love the show and I guess
that C4 think there isn't anything around that would be better. It's
like Hollywood just churning out sequels as they know that there
are a bunch of sad sacks that will go out and watch them. I include
my self in that category BTW.
We watched solely on the basis of the girls performance and her battle
with her depression , the rest was pointless. Lets hope they put this
one to bed now.
I've heard that they will be doing another one set in the 90s which
will probably be a waste of everyones time.

I've come across this review of the series and I think the author
has really hit the nail on the head with what is wrong with the
show and the reader comments echo what you said about mistakes
regarding what they were all wearing.

http://www.sabotagetimes.com/tv-film/this-is-england-88-can-we-have-shanes-muse-back-please/

Fred X
Sofa - Spud
2011-12-19 20:53:05 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
[...]
It was good for a single one off episode about the girl that tried to
kill herself - the rest was pointless , especially the awful kid and Smell.
I think that scene where the two girls sat in the house, was a deliberate
reminder of what happened in the previous series.
She sat down , looked around and said shall we see the baby. Yopu'd have
thought they would have moved having had the bloke killed there.
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by Sofa - Spud
[...]
Just a one off about the girl would have been fine - the scenes with her
were gripping edgy stuff, the rest of it was crap.
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by Sofa - Spud
Don't know where it;s going or why but I am left wondering why it was
rehashed for yet more episodes. Does the writer have nothing new?
I guess it's because the critics seem to love the show and I guess
that C4 think there isn't anything around that would be better. It's
like Hollywood just churning out sequels as they know that there
are a bunch of sad sacks that will go out and watch them. I include
my self in that category BTW.
We watched solely on the basis of the girls performance and her battle
with her depression , the rest was pointless. Lets hope they put this
one to bed now.
I've heard that they will be doing another one set in the 90s which
will probably be a waste of everyones time.
I'll give it a miss - they can't get any part of the 80's right let
alone the 90's.
Bloody good site that - some very good points.
Fred X
2011-12-20 15:15:48 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
[...]
right in the very same place it happened and she'd not to be
bothered.
I think the problem that I have with the series is that it a lot of the
time it is too realistic, depressing and tedious, just like real life!
There seemed to have been about ninety minutes of material dragged out
to fill three hours of drama.
It was good for a single one off episode about the girl that tried to
kill herself - the rest was pointless , especially the awful kid and Smell.
I keep wondering how the hell he has all these women chasing after
him! He's physically unattractive and he doesn't seem charismatic,
yet he has two females who want him!

Fred X
Sofa Spud
2011-12-23 09:57:47 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
[...]
Indeed , no charisma at all . The thing is in the film Smell seemed much
older , now he's grown up they seem more matched. Didn't like the way he
blamed the other girl though. He should have just broken up with Smell
instead of messing about - he had obviously gone off her.