OT - Japan Tsunami footage, BBC
Sofa - Spud
2011-03-11 08:34:30 UTC
We don't really know how lucky we are living in the UK! An earthquake
measuring 8.9 hit Japan offshore and cause a tsunami. We were discussing
earthquakes just yesterday - it's that damned moon!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598

Nothing can stop that water, toward the end of the clip there are cars
racing away - hate to be there in my van puttering along!

No word yet of casualties , lets hope they are OK.
AC
2011-03-11 09:27:47 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
We don't really know how lucky we are living in the UK! An earthquake
measuring 8.9 hit Japan offshore and cause a tsunami. We were discussing
earthquakes just yesterday - it's that damned moon!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598
Nothing can stop that water, toward the end of the clip there are cars
racing away - hate to be there in my van puttering along!
No word yet of casualties , lets hope they are OK.
Really scary stuff. Hope those nuclear power stations remain in tact.
Dont forget, we get a bit of flooding and some snow... Nothing like
perspective, aye?

Something I don't understand. There are warnings over the entire pacific
basin. Does any one know why the tsunami wont dissipate by the time it
reaches the likes of Hawaii, and then South America etc? Any one know?
Is it so powerful that its cant? Or wont dissipate much?
AC
Sofa - Spud
2011-03-11 09:32:20 UTC
Post by AC
Post by Sofa - Spud
We don't really know how lucky we are living in the UK! An earthquake
measuring 8.9 hit Japan offshore and cause a tsunami. We were discussing
earthquakes just yesterday - it's that damned moon!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12709598
Nothing can stop that water, toward the end of the clip there are cars
racing away - hate to be there in my van puttering along!
No word yet of casualties , lets hope they are OK.
Really scary stuff. Hope those nuclear power stations remain in tact.
Dont forget, we get a bit of flooding and some snow... Nothing like
perspective, aye?
Something I don't understand. There are warnings over the entire pacific
basin. Does any one know why the tsunami wont dissipate by the time it
reaches the likes of Hawaii, and then South America etc? Any one know?
Is it so powerful that its cant? Or wont dissipate much?
The UN are saying it's higher than some Pacific islands! 30ft high!

Fucking terrifying!
AC
2011-03-11 09:37:18 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by AC
Post by Sofa - Spud
[...]
Yeah, heard that a few mins ago. And how do you get any people there to
anything like vague safety in time?

Scary, yes, now imagine sitting there knowing its coming for you and
there is feck all you can do about it.
AC
Sofa - Spud
2011-03-11 09:46:35 UTC
Post by AC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by AC
Post by Sofa - Spud
[...]
Fires at Nuclear plants now - Japan Government declare Nuclear emergency
according to sky.
AC
2011-03-11 11:07:03 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by AC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by AC
Post by Sofa - Spud
[...]
Mrs AC just said that she heard they were having problems cooling one of
them...
AC
Rick
2011-03-11 11:34:29 UTC
Post by AC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by AC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by AC
Post by Sofa - Spud
[...]
"It was not immediately clear if there was a risk of a radioactive leak as a
result of the fire at the plant operated by Tohoku Electric Power. Miyagi
prefecture was one of the areas worst hit by the tsunami."

"Kyodo also reported that an emergency core-cooling unit had been activated
at Fukushima nuclear plant, without giving further details."

<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/8375891/Japan-earthquake-and-tsunami-fire-breaks-out-at-nuclear-plant-in-Onagawa.html>

I'm watching NHK World TV news, which just now reported that 'one plant has
had all of its diesel cooling pumps put out of action.
Sofa - Spud
2011-03-12 09:11:18 UTC
Post by AC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by AC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by AC
Post by Sofa - Spud
[...]
This has gone from bad to fucking terrible
Post by AC
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12720219
http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/
On the BBC they are showing footage of an explosion at the nuclear plant
- the cooling problems seem to be a lot worse and whilst last night they
were talking of a Three Mile Island scenario now they are looking at
fire and explosions.

Not good at all
The Other Mike

awavey
2011-03-12 09:30:52 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
On the BBC they are showing footage of an explosion at the nuclear plant
- the cooling problems seem to be a lot worse and whilst last night they
were talking of a Three Mile Island scenario now they are looking at
fire and explosions.
yes thats not a good explosion to have near a nuclear power plant
Post by Sofa - Spud
Not good at all
no and cant believe Nick Ravenscroft (BBCs South Asian reporter on the ground)
was just on and complaining about not being let nearer, its a nuclear
emergency you tool you want to be moving very swiftly away from it, and then
to add insult to injury, he starts getting all little englander and moaning
not enough people speak english in that part of Japan so he cant ask people
whats going on. sometimes the word idiot really doesnt do justice
The Other Mike
2011-03-12 09:40:49 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Not good at all
no and cant believe Nick Ravenscroft (BBCs South Asian reporter on the ground)
was just on and complaining about not being let nearer, its a nuclear
emergency you tool you want to be moving very swiftly away from it, and then
to add insult to injury, he starts getting all little englander and moaning
not enough people speak english in that part of Japan so he cant ask people
whats going on. sometimes the word idiot really doesnt do justice
"BBC's South Asian reporter on the ground"

surely you mean BBC's North West reporter who is somehow in Japan even
though he probably has difficulty with Scouse/Mancunian/Cumbrian
accents...

It's a classic pressure vessel failure - they were running at circa 3x
design pressure. So the containment building has gone, the reactor
vessel might be ok, but I wouldn't be hanging around to find out.

It's a pity the beeb got rid of Jonathon Ross, he'd be ideal in a
situation like this, he speaks some Japanese and if he dies of
radiation poisoning then we all win.

Rick
2011-03-12 10:09:28 UTC
Post by The Other Mike
Post by Sofa - Spud
[...]
But only yesterday we were treated to a procession of bearded 'nuclear
experts' appearing on various news channels assuring us with their soothing
utterances of 'failsafe', 'impossible', 'Japanese safety technology the best
in the world, designed to cope with this kind of eventuality' etc, etc.
Sofa - Spud
2011-03-12 10:33:22 UTC
Post by Rick
Post by The Other Mike
Post by Sofa - Spud
[...]
Well it was like R4 interviewing someone from the Japanese Embassy this
morning , without new information he just said I know no more than you
and the rest is speculation but thats no good for roling news is it?

Last night it was talk of a minor Three Mile Island scenario so they
worked on that - they don't wait for actual information they just have
to fill the hours.

Of course throughout the day with no new information it'll just be a
procession of talking heads.
Rick
2011-03-12 11:16:05 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by Rick
Post by The Other Mike
Post by Sofa - Spud
[...]
I'm more concerned about the fact that in our rush to replace ever more
expensive fossil fuels, in 50 years time there are going to be literally
hundreds of 'past their sell by date' nuclear facilities around the planet
(along with their accumulated radioactive waste) all requiring protracted
and hugely expensive decommissioning, what a crock of shit legacy to leave
our grandchildren to inherit.
The Other Mike
2011-03-11 11:28:58 UTC
Post by AC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by AC
Something I don't understand. There are warnings over the entire pacific
basin. Does any one know why the tsunami wont dissipate by the time it
reaches the likes of Hawaii, and then South America etc? Any one know?
Is it so powerful that its cant? Or wont dissipate much?
The UN are saying it's higher than some Pacific islands! 30ft high!
Fucking terrifying!
Yeah, heard that a few mins ago. And how do you get any people there to
anything like vague safety in time?
Scary, yes, now imagine sitting there knowing its coming for you and
there is feck all you can do about it.
Can't they just get onto a surfboard? In less than 12 hours they will
be in South America.

AC
2011-03-11 11:30:44 UTC
Post by The Other Mike
Post by AC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by AC
Something I don't understand. There are warnings over the entire pacific
basin. Does any one know why the tsunami wont dissipate by the time it
reaches the likes of Hawaii, and then South America etc? Any one know?
Is it so powerful that its cant? Or wont dissipate much?
The UN are saying it's higher than some Pacific islands! 30ft high!
Fucking terrifying!
Yeah, heard that a few mins ago. And how do you get any people there to
anything like vague safety in time?
Scary, yes, now imagine sitting there knowing its coming for you and
there is feck all you can do about it.
Can't they just get onto a surfboard? In less than 12 hours they will
be in South America.
http://youtu.be/AepyGm9Me6w
Ha, they should build huge city sized ones!!!!
AC
AC
2011-03-11 12:59:09 UTC
Post by AC
Post by AC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by AC
Something I don't understand. There are warnings over the entire pacific
basin. Does any one know why the tsunami wont dissipate by the time it
reaches the likes of Hawaii, and then South America etc? Any one know?
Is it so powerful that its cant? Or wont dissipate much?
The UN are saying it's higher than some Pacific islands! 30ft high!
Fucking terrifying!
Yeah, heard that a few mins ago. And how do you get any people there to
anything like vague safety in time?
Scary, yes, now imagine sitting there knowing its coming for you and
there is feck all you can do about it.
Can't they just get onto a surfboard? In less than 12 hours they will
be in South America.
http://youtu.be/AepyGm9Me6w
Ha, they should build huge city sized ones!!!!
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying to
make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important after
a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
AC
Froot Bat
2011-03-11 13:39:33 UTC
It's more important to people in Scotland, isn't it?
J***@a.com
2011-03-11 13:54:13 UTC
Post by Froot Bat
Post by AC
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying to
make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important after
a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
It's more important to people in Scotland, isn't it?
Depends whether they have any ability to empathise with other humans
who aren't themselves.
AC
2011-03-11 14:06:22 UTC
Post by J***@a.com
Post by Froot Bat
Post by AC
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying to
make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important after
a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
It's more important to people in Scotland, isn't it?
Depends whether they have any ability to empathise with other humans
who aren't themselves.
The sober ones will.
AC
AC
2011-03-11 13:56:37 UTC
Post by Froot Bat
Post by AC
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying to
make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important after
a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
It's more important to people in Scotland, isn't it?
Didn't say it wasn't.
AC
GordonD
2011-03-11 16:11:37 UTC
Post by Froot Bat
Post by AC
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying to
make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important after
a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
It's more important to people in Scotland, isn't it?
Snow. Meh. We'll cope.
--
Gordon Davie
Edinburgh, Scotland

"Slipped the surly bonds of Earth...to touch the face of God."
AC
2011-03-11 17:37:27 UTC
Post by GordonD
Post by Froot Bat
Post by AC
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying to
make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important after
a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
It's more important to people in Scotland, isn't it?
Snow. Meh. We'll cope.
Better than us down south, aye? :)

I swear most of us just make out its oh so bad just to get a few days
off!!!!!
AC
Truebrit.
2011-03-11 20:07:47 UTC
Post by GordonD
Post by Froot Bat
Post by AC
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying to
make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important after
a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
Scotland, isn't it?
Snow. Meh. We'll cope.
--
Pah!! Toddlers could cope with that light dusting you get up there. ;-)
Truebrit
GordonD
2011-03-11 20:48:34 UTC
Post by Truebrit.
Post by GordonD
Post by Froot Bat
Post by AC
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying to
make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important after
a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
Scotland, isn't it?
Snow. Meh. We'll cope.
--
Pah!! Toddlers could cope with that light dusting you get up there. ;-)
That was my point. What kind of weather we get isn't important compared with
what is going on in Japan.

Froot Bat
2011-03-12 14:04:44 UTC
Post by GordonD
Post by Truebrit.
Post by GordonD
Post by Froot Bat
Post by AC
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying to
make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important after
a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
Scotland, isn't it?
Snow. Meh. We'll cope.
--
Pah!! Toddlers could cope with that light dusting you get up there. ;-)
That was my point. What kind of weather we get isn't important compared with
what is going on in Japan.
A tsunami may be more serious than a 'bit of snow', but what happens
in a country half way across the world is simply not as important to
someone as what happens where they live.
Tiny
2011-03-12 14:22:33 UTC
Post by Froot Bat
Post by GordonD
Post by Truebrit.
Post by GordonD
Post by Froot Bat
Post by AC
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying to
make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important after
a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
Scotland, isn't it?
Snow. Meh. We'll cope.
--
Pah!! Toddlers could cope with that light dusting you get up there. ;-)
That was my point. What kind of weather we get isn't important compared with
what is going on in Japan.
A tsunami may be more serious than a 'bit of snow', but what happens
in a country half way across the world is simply not as important to
someone as what happens where they live.- Hide quoted text -
The pictures were amazing and showed the power of nature. What
surprised us was some of the reactions of people in the flood zone. TV
tended to fade out shots just before things happened but still one
car, having watched a ship sail over what had been a road, drove down
into the water like it was a ford (cut). In another shot a lorry
driver was standing on the back of his truck to get a view rather than
getting out while he could. In fact the truck was on a bridge on a
river with flood waters pouring under it and more breaking the banks
to get into the river (cut). As for some of the buildings floating
along you didn't get scale until the liuttle house approach a 30' lamp
standard and towered over it for about a second before knocking it
flat.

It makes you glad to be half a world away from this lot.
Halmyre
2011-03-12 16:49:59 UTC
Post by Tiny
Post by Froot Bat
Post by GordonD
Post by Truebrit.
Post by GordonD
Post by Froot Bat
Post by AC
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying to
make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important after
a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
Scotland, isn't it?
Snow. Meh. We'll cope.
--
Pah!! Toddlers could cope with that light dusting you get up there. ;-)
That was my point. What kind of weather we get isn't important compared with
what is going on in Japan.
A tsunami may be more serious than a 'bit of snow', but what happens
in a country half way across the world is simply not as important to
someone as what happens where they live.- Hide quoted text -
The pictures were amazing and showed the power of nature.
It's the debris-filled wave of water, with some of the debris actually
on fire, that gets me. Have you seen the one with a fairly large
building in the foreground? The water just inexorably advances and
wipes the whole lot away.

Halmyre
John Dean
2011-03-11 14:42:13 UTC
Post by AC
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying
to make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important
after a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
That's the bit that sent an icy chill into my bowels - when a newsreader
announced "A train is missing".
FFS, what does it take for a TRAIN to go missing?
The other chilling version of that on the strapline text was "A train is
unaccounted for".
Most chilling image so far - that little motor boat circling the artificial
vortex. Presumably not enough power to pull away.
Poor sods.
--
John Dean
Oxford
Basil Jet
2011-03-11 16:53:48 UTC
Post by John Dean
Post by AC
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying
to make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important
after a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
That's the bit that sent an icy chill into my bowels - when a newsreader
announced "A train is missing".
FFS, what does it take for a TRAIN to go missing?
One good wave at Dawlish could do it.

Incidentally, a train went missing on London's Circle Line once. They
found it a week later, ISTR at Rickmansworth depot hidden behind another
one.
AC
2011-03-11 17:35:21 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by John Dean
Post by AC
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying
to make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important
after a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
That's the bit that sent an icy chill into my bowels - when a newsreader
announced "A train is missing".
FFS, what does it take for a TRAIN to go missing?
One good wave at Dawlish could do it.
Incidentally, a train went missing on London's Circle Line once. They
found it a week later, ISTR at Rickmansworth depot hidden behind another
one.
Bloody hell, that must have really freaked out the people concerned.
AC
AC
2011-03-11 17:34:36 UTC
Post by John Dean
Post by AC
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying
to make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important
after a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
That's the bit that sent an icy chill into my bowels - when a newsreader
announced "A train is missing".
FFS, what does it take for a TRAIN to go missing?
The other chilling version of that on the strapline text was "A train is
unaccounted for".
Most chilling image so far - that little motor boat circling the artificial
vortex. Presumably not enough power to pull away.
Poor sods.
Indeed. Dunno if any one was it it.

Also, apparently a boat with 100 or so people on it went missing.

I guess these might be only the beginning of a string of many. Once you
imagine actually being in the middle of one of these incidents, words
like scary or chilling seem pretty useless. I mean, just imagine sitting
on one of those islands just waiting for it to hit.
AC
Sofa - Spud
2011-03-12 09:18:13 UTC
Post by John Dean
Post by AC
One thing that is amusing me is hearing our weather presenters trying
to make the potential bit of snow in Scotland sound vaguely important
after a report from Japan about something like a train going missing.
That's the bit that sent an icy chill into my bowels - when a newsreader
announced "A train is missing".
FFS, what does it take for a TRAIN to go missing?
The other chilling version of that on the strapline text was "A train is
unaccounted for".
Most chilling image so far - that little motor boat circling the artificial
vortex. Presumably not enough power to pull away.
Poor sods.
Watching that it doesn't look as if anyone is in in it - a big cruiser
like that would have a really powerful engine and if it was at full
throttle you'd see the churning at the back. It looks - given the fact
it's just there and not moving that it's dragged and anchor pr line and
now it's trapped perhaps on underwater obstacles.

The scale of the damage is shocking - there was a picture of a huge boat
like a trawler on it's side in a town.
Fred X
2011-03-12 14:39:53 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
Post by John Dean
Post by AC
[...]
There are some spectacular pictures of the devastation on this website.

http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/03/earthquake-in-japan/100022/

Fred X
Basil Jet
2011-03-12 16:05:26 UTC
Post by Fred X
There are some spectacular pictures of the devastation on this website.
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/03/earthquake-in-japan/100022/
Thanks!

I'm starting to see why Godzilla captured the imagination of the
Japanese people.
Fred X
2011-03-13 15:08:38 UTC
On Sat, 12 Mar 2011 16:05:26 -0000, Basil Jet
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Fred X
There are some spectacular pictures of the devastation on this website.
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/03/earthquake-in-japan/100022/
Thanks!
I'm starting to see why Godzilla captured the imagination of the
Japanese people.
I have been wondering if Godzilla is going to rise from the ashes
of the damaged nuclear power station.

Fred X
Halmyre
2011-03-13 15:31:14 UTC
Post by Basil Jet
Post by Fred X
There are some spectacular pictures of the devastation on this website.
http://www.theatlantic.com/infocus/2011/03/earthquake-in-japan/100022/
Thanks!
I'm starting to see why Godzilla captured the imagination of the
Japanese people.
I have been wondering if Godzilla is going to rise from the ashes
of the damaged nuclear power station.
Fred X
As if there wasn't enough going on, now they've got a volcano wakening
up...

--
Halmyre

Paul Hyett
2011-03-11 17:13:49 UTC
Post by AC
Scary, yes, now imagine sitting there knowing its coming for you and
there is feck all you can do about it.
The only way would be get on a boat & head for deep water...
Paul 'Charts Fan' Hyett
AC
2011-03-11 17:36:19 UTC
Post by Paul Hyett
Post by AC
Scary, yes, now imagine sitting there knowing its coming for you and
there is feck all you can do about it.
The only way would be get on a boat & head for deep water...
Yeah, some expert was talking bout how the tsunami moves about, and that
you would barely notice it in a large ish boat.
AC
Bram
2011-03-11 20:49:16 UTC
Post by Sofa - Spud
We don't really know how lucky we are living in the UK!
So very true.

No natural disasters, no non-human predators, no dangerous organisms or
widespread diseases/viruses, no excess of neither heat nor coldness, an
abundance of water, etc. So, you've got to wonder why we are one of the
most unhappy and aggressive nations, when in reality, we have it pretty good
from a nature point of view.
Mark Carver
2011-03-12 13:48:26 UTC
Post by Bram
Post by Sofa - Spud
We don't really know how lucky we are living in the UK!
So very true.
Well, almost, we're not totally immune to suffering a tsunami:-

http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/flooding/documents/risk/tsunami05.pdf
--
Mark

www.paras.org.uk
Rick
2011-03-12 14:38:03 UTC
Post by Mark Carver
Post by Bram
Post by Sofa - Spud
We don't really know how lucky we are living in the UK!
So very true.
Well, almost, we're not totally immune to suffering a tsunami:-
http://www.defra.gov.uk/environment/flooding/documents/risk/tsunami05.pdf
--
Mark
"On 30 January 1607 the Bristol Channel floods resulted in the drowning of
an estimated 3,000 or more people, with houses and villages swept away, an
estimated 200 square miles (518 km2) of farmland inundated and livestock
destroyed, wrecking the local economy along the coasts of the Bristol
Channel and Severn Estuary, in what was then the Kingdom of England."

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Channel_floods,_1607>
BartC
2011-03-13 11:23:53 UTC
Post by Bram
Post by Sofa - Spud
We don't really know how lucky we are living in the UK!
So very true.
No natural disasters, no non-human predators, no dangerous organisms or
widespread diseases/viruses, no excess of neither heat nor coldness, an
abundance of water, etc. So, you've got to wonder why we are one of the
most unhappy and aggressive nations, when in reality, we have it pretty good
from a nature point of view.
It could be a bit warmer and sunnier. (And perhaps fewer aggressive dogs
which must be the most dangerous animals we have.)

Some countries have the warm and sunny bit, but nothing else, compared to
the richness and comfort of life here.
Bartc
jbm
2011-03-12 00:34:21 UTC
No word yet of casualties , lets hope they are OK.

Not the best of phrasing. I somehow think the casualties won't be OK.

jim