Hurricane Mavis
Tricky Dicky
2005-09-22 17:38:46 UTC
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?

I await Hurricane Tatlock with trepidation

Tricky
Col
2005-09-22 17:43:48 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
And after being asked whether Mavis would hit New Orleans,
the forecaster would reply 'Ooooo, I don't really know.....'

Col
I just know that something good is gonna happen.
Trevor
2005-09-22 18:04:11 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I await Hurricane Tatlock with trepidation
Tricky
There's running out of letters apparently so if they're any more
they'll be called Hurricane Alpha, Beta, Gamma etc.
Matt Wheeler
2005-09-22 18:07:47 UTC
Post by Trevor
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her
honour surely?
I await Hurricane Tatlock with trepidation
Tricky
There's running out of letters apparently so if they're any more
they'll be called Hurricane Alpha, Beta, Gamma etc.
How can they run out of letters ? they Just start from A again. (which
they do at the start of each year anyway)
Or do you mean they are running out of names ?
Surely Hurricane season is nearly over anyway, so i doubt they'll run
out before they get to Z on the current cycle anyway.
Trevor
2005-09-22 18:33:51 UTC
Matt Wheeler wrote:
<snip>
Post by Matt Wheeler
How can they run out of letters ? they Just start from A again. (which
they do at the start of each year anyway)
Or do you mean they are running out of names ?
Surely Hurricane season is nearly over anyway, so i doubt they'll run
out before they get to Z on the current cycle anyway.
http://miami.about.com/od/weather/a/hurricanenames.htm

They have 21 new names each year and can't reuse them.

Stan, Tammy, Vince, Wilma are the names left this year.
Marcus Houlden
2005-09-22 19:44:09 UTC
Post by Trevor
<snip>
Post by Matt Wheeler
How can they run out of letters ? they Just start from A again. (which
they do at the start of each year anyway)
Or do you mean they are running out of names ?
Surely Hurricane season is nearly over anyway, so i doubt they'll run
out before they get to Z on the current cycle anyway.
http://miami.about.com/od/weather/a/hurricanenames.htm
They have 21 new names each year and can't reuse them.
Stan, Tammy, Vince, Wilma are the names left this year.
There's a more comprehensive list at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml. They don't expect to have more
than 21 hurricanes a year in the Atlantic, which is why Q, U, X, Y and Z are
missing. It's a shame, as it would be good to have hurricanes named things
like Queenie and Ursula.

mh.
--
From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.

"People are animals too."
jermec
2005-09-22 20:49:17 UTC
Post by Marcus Houlden
Post by Trevor
<snip>
Post by Matt Wheeler
How can they run out of letters ? they Just start from A again. (which
they do at the start of each year anyway)
Or do you mean they are running out of names ?
Surely Hurricane season is nearly over anyway, so i doubt they'll run
out before they get to Z on the current cycle anyway.
http://miami.about.com/od/weather/a/hurricanenames.htm
They have 21 new names each year and can't reuse them.
Stan, Tammy, Vince, Wilma are the names left this year.
There's a more comprehensive list at
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutnames.shtml. They don't expect to have more
than 21 hurricanes a year in the Atlantic, which is why Q, U, X, Y and Z are
missing. It's a shame, as it would be good to have hurricanes named things
like Queenie and Ursula.
mh.
From another group, recently:

Hurricane Names 2006
Abscess
Bush
Cheney
Durian
Embryo
Frankenstein
Godzilla
High School Reunion
Iraq war
Jello, with fruit in it
Kid
Lyme disease
Michael Jackson
No-more-Mr-Nice-Storm
Osama
Paris Hilton
Quagmire
Rush Limbaugh
Sprog
Tarantula
Umbilical Cord
Vampire
Work
Xenoblast
Yodel
Zebra of Death!

US-centric, unsurprisingly given recent events, but I'm sure the UK can
contribute.... Cyril, over to you.
--
jermec

'It's not the despair, I can cope with the despair. It's the hope I can't
stand.'
Steve Walton
2005-09-22 21:00:33 UTC
Post by jermec
Post by Marcus Houlden
Post by Trevor
<snip>
Post by Matt Wheeler
[...]
but they didn't follow the rules, ie no Q, U, X, Y and Z

Steve
jermec
2005-09-22 21:41:53 UTC
Post by Steve Walton
Post by jermec
Post by Marcus Houlden
Post by Trevor
<snip>
Post by Matt Wheeler
[...]
If you want to stick to the rules.... that's no fun at all.

stand.'
Steve Walton
2005-09-22 20:57:52 UTC
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:33:51 +0100, Trevor
Post by Trevor
<snip>
Post by Matt Wheeler
How can they run out of letters ? they Just start from A again. (which
they do at the start of each year anyway)
Or do you mean they are running out of names ?
Surely Hurricane season is nearly over anyway, so i doubt they'll run
out before they get to Z on the current cycle anyway.
http://miami.about.com/od/weather/a/hurricanenames.htm
They have 21 new names each year and can't reuse them.
Stan, Tammy, Vince, Wilma are the names left this year.
so what happened to
Lee
Maria
Nate
Ophelia
and Phillipe
these hardly got a mention and its not long since Katrina
how much longer is there in the hurricane season ?

Steve
cupra
2005-09-22 21:04:35 UTC
Post by Steve Walton
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:33:51 +0100, Trevor
Post by Trevor
<snip>
Post by Matt Wheeler
How can they run out of letters ? they Just start from A again.
(which they do at the start of each year anyway)
Or do you mean they are running out of names ?
Surely Hurricane season is nearly over anyway, so i doubt they'll
run out before they get to Z on the current cycle anyway.
http://miami.about.com/od/weather/a/hurricanenames.htm
They have 21 new names each year and can't reuse them.
Stan, Tammy, Vince, Wilma are the names left this year.
so what happened to
Lee
Maria
Nate
Ophelia
and Phillipe
these hardly got a mention and its not long since Katrina
how much longer is there in the hurricane season ?
Tropical storms or Hurricanes that were either short lived or tracked out
into the Atlantic (therfore not very newsworthy unless you're a mariner) -
the hurricance season can extend into November.....
Steve Walton
2005-09-22 21:18:40 UTC
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:04:35 +0100, " cupra"
Post by cupra
Post by Steve Walton
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:33:51 +0100, Trevor
Post by Trevor
<snip>
Post by Matt Wheeler
[...]
in that case my bets are that they will need more names

Steve
cupra
2005-09-22 21:18:25 UTC
Post by Steve Walton
Post by cupra
Post by Steve Walton
so what happened to
Lee
Maria
Nate
Ophelia
and Phillipe
these hardly got a mention and its not long since Katrina
how much longer is there in the hurricane season ?
Tropical storms or Hurricanes that were either short lived or
tracked out into the Atlantic (therfore not very newsworthy unless
you're a mariner) - the hurricance season can extend into
November.....
in that case my bets are that they will need more names
Yep - plus they retire the names that cause massive damage and loss of
life....
Jeff Lawrence
2005-09-23 05:47:18 UTC
Post by cupra
Post by Steve Walton
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:33:51 +0100, Trevor
Post by Trevor
<snip>
Post by Matt Wheeler
[...]
Especially if there are any postponments due to bad weather.
Cheers
Jeff
Thanatos
2005-09-22 21:39:27 UTC
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:33:51 +0100, Trevor
Post by Trevor
<snip>
Post by Matt Wheeler
How can they run out of letters ? they Just start from A again. (which
they do at the start of each year anyway)
Or do you mean they are running out of names ?
Surely Hurricane season is nearly over anyway, so i doubt they'll run
out before they get to Z on the current cycle anyway.
http://miami.about.com/od/weather/a/hurricanenames.htm
They have 21 new names each year and can't reuse them.
Stan, Tammy, Vince, Wilma are the names left this year.
I misread the second and third ones as "Tommy Vance". :-)

"...everyone knows who the The Mullen is now." - Helen
Steve Walton
2005-09-22 23:17:06 UTC
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 21:39:27 GMT, Thanatos
Post by Steve Walton
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:33:51 +0100, Trevor
Post by Trevor
<snip>
Post by Matt Wheeler
How can they run out of letters ? they Just start from A again. (which
they do at the start of each year anyway)
Or do you mean they are running out of names ?
Surely Hurricane season is nearly over anyway, so i doubt they'll run
out before they get to Z on the current cycle anyway.
http://miami.about.com/od/weather/a/hurricanenames.htm
They have 21 new names each year and can't reuse them.
Stan, Tammy, Vince, Wilma are the names left this year.
I misread the second and third ones as "Tommy Vance". :-)
was he in corrie ?

Steve
Halmyre
2005-09-23 08:10:09 UTC
Post by Steve Walton
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:33:51 +0100, Trevor
Post by Trevor
<snip>
Post by Matt Wheeler
How can they run out of letters ? they Just start from A again. (which
they do at the start of each year anyway)
Or do you mean they are running out of names ?
Surely Hurricane season is nearly over anyway, so i doubt they'll run
out before they get to Z on the current cycle anyway.
http://miami.about.com/od/weather/a/hurricanenames.htm
They have 21 new names each year and can't reuse them.
Stan, Tammy, Vince, Wilma are the names left this year.
I misread the second and third ones as "Tommy Vance". :-)
--
"...everyone knows who the The Mullen is now." - Helen
ROTFL! What a tribute that would be...
--
Halmyre

f c e k
i r i s h c o n n e c t i o n
Dom Robinson
2005-09-23 23:12:08 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Trevor
http://miami.about.com/od/weather/a/hurricanenames.htm
They have 21 new names each year and can't reuse them.
Stan, Tammy, Vince, Wilma are the names left this year.
I misread the second and third ones as "Tommy Vance". :-)
His death was badly timed - shortly after John Peel's so it was completely
ignored by the media :(
--
Dom Robinson Gamertag: DVDfever email: dom at dvdfever dot co dot uk
/* http://DVDfever.co.uk (editor)
DVDfever.co.uk on BBC News 24's Click Online! - http://tinyurl.com/2mqj4
Mike Plowman
2005-09-22 18:26:50 UTC
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:04:11 +0100, Trevor
Post by Trevor
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I await Hurricane Tatlock with trepidation
Tricky
There's running out of letters apparently so if they're any more
they'll be called Hurricane Alpha, Beta, Gamma etc.
That's Alpha Roberts, Beta Turpin.....:-)
--
Mike Plowman
Coronation Street Visual Updates - www.csvu.net
but it didn't amount to much." Russell Harty
Tricky Dicky
2005-09-22 18:36:48 UTC
Post by Trevor
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I await Hurricane Tatlock with trepidation
Tricky
There's running out of letters apparently so if they're any more
they'll be called Hurricane Alpha, Beta, Gamma etc.
That's Alpha Roberts, Beta Turpin.....:-)
ROTFLMAO!

Very good. You get the daily Oscar Wilde award for witty contributions to
this ng <g>

Tricky
r***@myway.com
2005-09-22 23:34:20 UTC
... and Gamma Garments.
Dom Robinson
2005-09-22 18:29:26 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I DONNNNNN'T REEEEEEALLY KNOWWWWWWWW!
Ben
2005-09-22 18:32:57 UTC
Post by Dom Robinson
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I DONNNNNN'T REEEEEEALLY KNOWWWWWWWW!
I can't hear that now without thinking of Extras.
"If its not up there, I'll give you the money myself"
Thanatos
2005-09-22 18:48:40 UTC
Post by Ben
Post by Dom Robinson
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I DONNNNNN'T REEEEEEALLY KNOWWWWWWWW!
I can't hear that now without thinking of Extras.
"If its not up there, I'll give you the money myself"
There's currently an advert that uses the song "Magic", which I now
can't hear without thinking of Bunny.

"Custaaaaaard!"

:-)

"...everyone knows who the The Mullen is now." - Helen
Dom Robinson
2005-09-22 19:16:10 UTC
Post by Thanatos
Post by Ben
Post by Dom Robinson
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I DONNNNNN'T REEEEEEALLY KNOWWWWWWWW!
I can't hear that now without thinking of Extras.
"If its not up there, I'll give you the money myself"
There's currently an advert that uses the song "Magic", which I now
can't hear without thinking of Bunny.
"Custaaaaaard!"
:-)
I can't hear "Bunny!" without thinking of Fizz ;)
Mike Plowman
2005-09-22 19:23:22 UTC
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:16:10 +0100, Dom Robinson
Post by Dom Robinson
Post by Thanatos
Post by Ben
Post by Dom Robinson
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I DONNNNNN'T REEEEEEALLY KNOWWWWWWWW!
I can't hear that now without thinking of Extras.
"If its not up there, I'll give you the money myself"
There's currently an advert that uses the song "Magic", which I now
can't hear without thinking of Bunny.
"Custaaaaaard!"
:-)
I can't hear "Bunny!" without thinking of Fizz ;)
I can't think of Fiz without thinking of Kirk.

next?
Dom Robinson
2005-09-22 20:07:54 UTC
In article <***@4ax.com>, ***@csvu.net
says...
Post by Dom Robinson
Post by Thanatos
Post by Ben
Post by Dom Robinson
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I DONNNNNN'T REEEEEEALLY KNOWWWWWWWW!
I can't hear that now without thinking of Extras.
"If its not up there, I'll give you the money myself"
There's currently an advert that uses the song "Magic", which I now
can't hear without thinking of Bunny.
"Custaaaaaard!"
:-)
I can't hear "Bunny!" without thinking of Fizz ;)
I can't think of Fiz without thinking of Kirk.
next?
I can't think of Kirk without thinking of "Dear John" :)
Tricky Dicky
2005-09-22 21:25:19 UTC
Post by Dom Robinson
says...
Post by Dom Robinson
Post by Thanatos
Post by Ben
Post by Dom Robinson
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I DONNNNNN'T REEEEEEALLY KNOWWWWWWWW!
I can't hear that now without thinking of Extras.
"If its not up there, I'll give you the money myself"
There's currently an advert that uses the song "Magic", which I now
can't hear without thinking of Bunny.
"Custaaaaaard!"
:-)
I can't hear "Bunny!" without thinking of Fizz ;)
I can't think of Fiz without thinking of Kirk.
next?
I can't think of Kirk without thinking of "Dear John" :)
Now that would be a programme I would like to see again. It was a great
series back when it was on (middle 80's?) but I wonder if it has stood the
test of time?

Tricky
Thanatos
2005-09-22 21:40:10 UTC
On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 22:25:19 +0100, "Tricky Dicky"
Post by Tricky Dicky
Post by Dom Robinson
I can't think of Kirk without thinking of "Dear John" :)
Now that would be a programme I would like to see again. It was a great
series back when it was on (middle 80's?) but I wonder if it has stood the
test of time?
I was wondering the same thing myself, tiger. ;-)

"...everyone knows who the The Mullen is now." - Helen
Dom Robinson
2005-09-23 23:12:08 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Post by Dom Robinson
says...
Post by Dom Robinson
Post by Thanatos
Post by Ben
Post by Dom Robinson
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I DONNNNNN'T REEEEEEALLY KNOWWWWWWWW!
I can't hear that now without thinking of Extras.
"If its not up there, I'll give you the money myself"
There's currently an advert that uses the song "Magic", which I now
can't hear without thinking of Bunny.
"Custaaaaaard!"
:-)
I can't hear "Bunny!" without thinking of Fizz ;)
I can't think of Fiz without thinking of Kirk.
next?
I can't think of Kirk without thinking of "Dear John" :)
Now that would be a programme I would like to see again. It was a great
series back when it was on (middle 80's?) but I wonder if it has stood the
test of time?
Were there any........ *sexual* problems?
Thanatos
2005-09-22 19:24:16 UTC
Post by Dom Robinson
Post by Thanatos
There's currently an advert that uses the song "Magic", which I now
can't hear without thinking of Bunny.
"Custaaaaaard!"
:-)
I can't hear "Bunny!" without thinking of Fizz ;)
Heh-heh. And to think, there are probably people who read that and
didn't know what you meant. I can't believe it was 1993. Seems like
only yesterday....

However, to nitpick a little, that wouldn't be so much "Bunny" as
"Buh-nay". :-)

"...everyone knows who the The Mullen is now." - Helen
Dom Robinson
2005-09-22 20:09:25 UTC
Post by Dom Robinson
Post by Thanatos
There's currently an advert that uses the song "Magic", which I now
can't hear without thinking of Bunny.
"Custaaaaaard!"
:-)
I can't hear "Bunny!" without thinking of Fizz ;)
Heh-heh. And to think, there are probably people who read that and
didn't know what you meant. I can't believe it was 1993. Seems like
only yesterday....
However, to nitpick a little, that wouldn't be so much "Bunny" as
"Buh-nay". :-)
And I'm trying to think whether she was murdered by Nick Moran or he went on
to terrorise Bunny, alone?
Fr J. Hackett
2005-09-22 20:10:58 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I await Hurricane Tatlock with trepidation
:-))

I suspect Hurricane Higgins has hit a few people in its time.

fr.
Col

I just know that something good is gonna happen.
Marcus Houlden
2005-09-22 21:18:14 UTC
Post by Fr J. Hackett
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I await Hurricane Tatlock with trepidation
:-))
I suspect Hurricane Higgins has hit a few people in its time.
Find out more about Hurricane Ena on the net.

mh.
--
From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.

"People are animals too."
Steve Walton
2005-09-22 21:35:46 UTC
Post by Marcus Houlden
Post by Fr J. Hackett
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I await Hurricane Tatlock with trepidation
:-))
I suspect Hurricane Higgins has hit a few people in its time.
Find out more about Hurricane Ena on the net.
this has been good

Steve
Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.
Peter Cheeseman
2005-09-22 20:24:43 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I await Hurricane Tatlock with trepidation
Tricky
From Katrina to Rita already........Have they had THAT many since
Katrina .???
The 2005 list is
Arlene
Bret
Cindy
Dennis
Emily
Franklin
Gert
Harvey
Irene
Jose
Katrina
Lee
Maria
Nate
Ophelia
Philippe
Rita
Stan
Tammy
Vince
Wilma

I remember Ophelia being mentioned on the news, but the others must have
been mere breezes.

Hey - and look! Stan's next!

PC
Col
2005-09-22 20:32:01 UTC
Post by Peter Cheeseman
I remember Ophelia being mentioned on the news, but the others must have
been mere breezes.
Not necessarily.
A lot of strong hurricanes swing out into the Atlantic and go
nowhere near any land, therefore we don't tend to hear about them.

Col
I just know that something good is gonna happen.
Fr J. Hackett
2005-09-22 21:24:01 UTC
Post by Peter Cheeseman
Hey - and look! Stan's next!
Never mind about Rita and Mavis, it should be Hilda.

fr.
Halmyre
2005-09-23 08:12:14 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I await Hurricane Tatlock with trepidation
Tricky
From Katrina to Rita already........Have they had THAT many since
[...]
That's another fine mess you've gotten me into, Stanley...
--
Halmyre

f c e k
i r i s h c o n n e c t i o n
Marcus Houlden
2005-09-23 20:56:51 UTC
Post by Halmyre
Post by Peter Cheeseman
[...]
And after that, the well known country & western song "Stand By Your Man (if
he hasn't been blown away)". Hurricane Wilma has a few interesting
possibilities. Do you think Fred will get blown by Wilma?

mh.
--
From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.

"People are animals too."
Matt Wheeler
2005-09-22 20:35:57 UTC
Post by Tricky Dicky
Well after Rita, they are bound to name the next one Mavis in her honour
surely?
I await Hurricane Tatlock with trepidation
Tricky
From Katrina to Rita already........Have they had THAT many since
Katrina .???
Apparently so.
There are, I have heard, around 7 Tropical storms (or worse),
including Rita around the Atlantic at the present, so they will no
doubt account for some of the large step. Although at present I can
only find a Tropical Storm Phillippe.... meanwhile, in the Pacfic,
Kenneth and Max are going strong.....

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/